DIY irrigation using soda bottles

Years ago I decided to install a homemade drip-feed system of soda bottles to water my pots and raised beds. But having filled the one nearest to my beloved plum tree yesterday, I noticed this morning that the water level hadn’t dropped. The culprit was the lid of the old water bottle I was using. Soil had crept inside the hole over the course of last year and a rather unattractive moss had grown inside and blocked the hole. 

So I’ve decided to treat my garden and upgrade my bottle lids to proper watering spikes. Still very much a DIY solution, but one that I hope that will improve the irrigation right down into the bottom of my raised beds. 

New watering spikes in situ

Posted by

We farm a three acre smallholding in Hampshire, England, having fled London in pursuit of the good life for our little family. We mess about with an assorted menagerie and try to be as self-sufficient as possible in meat and fruit and vegetables whilst enjoying our plot and an outdoors lifestyle with our son. I am the luckiest person that I know.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s